среда, июля 13, 2005

I've been playing a lot of Halo 2 and reading a lot of Harry Potter lately. Lame, you say? Well it's all new to me. Over the last few years I've (re)discovered that I really like stories. I've reread many books that I remember enjoying as a child. They're mostly adventure stories like Treasure Island, Chronicles of Narnia, The Hobbit (et al), 1001 Arabian Nights and so on. Since I didn't get into stuff like Tin-tin or Harry Potter until later, I can't really say I'm rediscovering them... but they're cool all the same. My friend Ben told me once there was going to be a live-action Tin-tin movie. Maybe I missed it. I pray Disney doesn't screw Narnia up this winter. I have low expectations, but then again, I doubt it will be playing in Karganda.

It's a wonder to be reading non-fiction for fun again. After college... ug. I've had it up to here with "Christian Bookstores" for a while now too. I guess that's why I was so suprised with Don Miller's Blue Like Jazz. He was funny... AND insightful.

The bummer is most authors today only have one idea. It might be a big idea that needs explaining from all angles, but it is still just one idea. Eldrige's stuff could be condensed into one normal sized book. Brennon Manning too. CS Lewis, on the other hand, wrote in a different genre every time. Sci-fi, fantasy, philosophy, apologetics, theology, autobiography... it's all there.

This is all to say I'm really looking forward to hanging out with the new (and old) teachers at training next week where I'll have to put down the freakin' books, talk to people and possibly have a chance to re-enact this picture:
Plus Alana and I will get to hang out a bunch. Pasadena style.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Анонимный said...

happy birthday man. Pasadena style. We'll definitely be hanging.

12:16 AM  

Отправить комментарий

<< Home