пятница, июня 30, 2006

Back in the Saddle

Yellowstone was great--proof that my dad and I are friends, which is cool. Some things I learned o this trip: I'm a pretty ok fisherman, mosquitoes love the taste of my blood and Nate English is engaged. Also, people are idiots on vacation. Ask any hotel manager, any state or national park staff or pretty much any shopowner in Leavenworth and they'll tell you what I just said--people on vacation are idiots.

Having grown up in a tourist town has changed how I do the tourist thing. At times I'm overly sensitive to doing typical 'tourist' stuff and never take any risks... and living in Central Asia for two years changed me too... so now I fight the paradox within: the urge to blend in and dissapear and the urge to wear the stars and stripes and shout in English on the streets of Namangan.

I didn't get the apartment in Magnolia, on a completely different topic. I'm borowing Brady's car (again!) and going to look at a few more today and tomorow. I called 10 numbers yesterday and got 2 actual people. One of the eight messages I left has returned my call. Bastards.

Actualy, it's not all bad... when my phone rings I have no idea who it is or why they're calling and that's stressfull. So if they're not calling back, I can just call them names on the internet and feel justified.

Also, I can't set up my voicemail. The instructions in the book are useless, with the same useless information on the website.

The Mariners came fro behind to win! We're over .500! My goal for the season has been achieved and it's not even July!

I have today and tomorow to find an apartment. Pray for me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Krista said...

I think the main thing with tourists is that they leave their brains behind under their pillows for safekeeping while they go on vacation. At least that was the theory we came up with when I was working in Yellowstone! I hope you had a great time, I'd love to talk to you about it!
Blessings,
Krista

1:28 PM  
Anonymous Анонимный said...

It is very interesting for me to read this article. Thanx for it. I like such topics and anything that is connected to them. I would like to read more on that blog soon.
Alex
Phone blocker

9:03 PM  

Отправить комментарий

<< Home