понедельник, марта 06, 2006

Violence

Saturday night I was awakened three different times by fights in the street outside Otrar, the stripclub/resturaunt I live behind. It is not unusual to see violence on the street after dark--I can't count how many drunks I've seen taking swings at each other or kids rolling in the dirt. This was 15 or 20 dudes taking turns going at it while the rest just seemed to be content watching it happen.

Now, since I believe there you can build a just theroy for war, that also means there is a parralel theory (assuming I'm correct) for our interactions as individuals. That is to say, if war is ever justifiable, violence against another person is also sometimes justifiable. This is the line I hold in my mind. I've been faced with a mild dose of reality and suddenly I'm not so sure.

I have no idea why these guys were fighting.
Even from the fifth floor in the dark it was clear some of them were seriously inebriated.
It could have been just. But it was still sickening.

It struck me as I watched half awake how sheltered I am to almost every form of physical violence. I'm sheltered from most every form of physical DISCOMFORT, for crying out loud! I learned I have no idea what I'm talking about war. All those movies made in the last 15 years teaching us the glory of soldiers? Total crap. I aint no pacifist, but vomit inducing special effects cheapen (in a way) the sacrifice soldiers do make so that we can glorify them later. I've gone well beyond me original post-inspiration and now am rambling, stream-o-consciencenous style. Not that it changes the lucidy or quality of my thoughts.